Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Mantis Shrimp vs. Crab



Mantis shrimp are not actually shrimp, nor are they mantids. The hell made you think that? In fact, they're stomatopods, an entirely separate order of crustacean. I could write about all the amazing things their claws do, but a) I don't really understand it entirely and b) I'm kind of drunk. Cavitation bubbles? Somnoluminescence? Man, I don't know what that means, but I certainly don't want to be somnoluminesced. Suffice it to say that they can hit prey at 23 meters per second, and that divers have taken to calling them "thumb splitters". You don't really want to mess with a mantis shrimp, and if you need any more evidence you can check out the Wikipedia entry on that absurd claw.

Here's one more video for your stomatopodic pleasure, and there are a zillion more on YouTube.

No comments: